Followers

Monday 29 October 2012

RECIPE - Tameta Per Eeda


TAMETA PER EEDA

No I am not a strict vegetarian , in fact I am a strict eggitarian, yes I love my eggs and I love them whichever way they can be cooked - boiled, bhurjee, florentine, omelet etc. 

But it was in circa 1998, when a Parsee nurse attending to my ailing father saw my affinity towards eggs and made me a popular Parsee dish called Tameta Per Eeda (lliterally translating into Eggs on Tomatoes!) . Now the Parsees love their eggs too, they can have them with just about with anything, Papeeta Per Eeda (Eggs on Potatoes), Bheeda per Eeda (Egg on Okra), Salli per Eeda (Eggs on fried potato strips), infact there is a joke that goes that they will even make Eeda Per Eeda (Eggs on Eggs)!!! 

 But my absolute favourite is the Tatmeta Per Eeda (Eggs on Tomatoes). Last made by my dear friend Nina Bhalla , a Paaki Bawi married to a burlusque Panju! 

I tried this at home today which made for a brilliant breakfast and very healthy as well. So here goes

3 Egg whites 
1 Whole Egg
2 Tomatoes Diced
1 Small Onion Diced
1/2 Cup Coriander chopped
1 Tsp Coriander Poweder
2 Tsp Olive Oil
Salt , Pepper & Chili Powder to taste

This is good for one or two people 

Heat oil in a small pan which is good for a two egg omelet. We want the dish to be nice and thick. Add to it the Coriander powder, Salt and Pepper till the juices are released in the oil. 
Add the chopped onions and fry till they are translucent but haven't started browning. 
Add the tomatoes and cook on a low flame for a few minutes till they turn limp and soggy. 
Add the chopped coriander and continue stirring till the tomatoes look soft. 
Pour the egg whites over the mixture and evenly spread it all over covering evenly with the whites. 
Break a whole egg in the middle of the setting frittata
Sprinkle some salt, pepper and chili powder and cover the pan till the yolk is completely cooked and is well done. 
Serve straight from the pan cutting it into large wedges.
Serve with some Brun paav - a hard bread roll popularly found in the Paree/Irani bakeries and you are set to start your day!



ENJOY DICKRA!

No comments:

Post a Comment